L&N 1315

 

Louisville & Nashville 1315, a C-420 built by American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in September 1966, was the last C-420 built for the L&N. In fact, it appears to have been the last ALCO of any type built for the railroad. All L&N C-420s numbered above 1315 came from other railroads such as the Tennessee Central, Monon, and Seaboard Coast Line.

1315 had builder number 3467-10 and was retired July 20, 1982. It was soon sold to Chrome Crankshaft. Following that sale, the locomotive went to Indiana Hi-Rail as their 1315, later renumbered to315. It then became the Wabash & Ohio 315 and then RMW Ventures 315. Later, the locomotive became part of the VLIX (Vintage Locomotives) fleet and was assigned to the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum for use and restoration.

1315 was rebuilt and painted during 2008 and debuted on Sunday, September 21, 2008, at the L&N Historical Society meeting.

1315 arrived in Oak Ridge looking a bit rough.

Take a look at some of the work required to return 1315 into one of her L&N paint schemes.

.

 

Our L&N caboose 6487 received a fresh coat of paint at the same time as 1315.


SARM | Rolling Stock | Secret City Scenic | Schedule | Tickets | Future SARM Museum Building


This page last revised: October 12, 2008

Authored by TechScribes, Inc.