This car, the sister car to the "Fort Oglethorpe", was built by Budd in 1947 for the Central of Georgia Railway and ran daily on the "Man O' War" between Atlanta and Columbus, Georgia. The car became Southern property when Central of Georgia merged with Southern on June 18, 1963. The "Fort McPherson" was subsequently sold to the Alaskan Railway. It was purchased by the museum in 1999 and is currently undergoing restoration.
SARM volunteers replacing windows in the "Fort McPherson" in January 2001.
This page last revised: January 19, 2002For questions or comments about SARM, please contact the SARM President at firstname.lastname@example.org or 865-241-2140