This caboose was built in November, 1931, in the Savannah Shops of the Savannah & Atlanta Railway as caboose 253. The Savannah & Atlanta line was acquired by the Central of Georgia Railway in 1951, which itself was purchased by the Southern Railway in 1963. In recent years the caboose operated in the coal country of northeastern Tennessee and southwestern Virginia.
Southern retired the caboose in the early 1980s and sold it to George Haggard, who stored it in Morristown, Tennessee. Mr. Haggard graciously donated the caboose to SARM in late 1998, and the caboose was moved to Knoxville in February 1999. It is currently awaiting much-needed restoration work. Museum officers are exploring several avenues to gain funding and donations to restore the caboose.
This page last revised: March 26, 2001For questions or comments about SARM, please contact the SARM President at email@example.com or 865-241-2140